The Pontifical Gregorian University is a historic Jesuit University of the Catholic Church based in Rome and dedicated to various disciplines in the field of human sciences and, in particular, philosophical and theological ones. It is located in the city centre, in Piazza della Pilotta, a square on the slopes of the Quirinal hill, the highest of the seven hills of Rome, near the Trevi fountain.
Its first nucleus was the “School of Grammar and Christian doctrine” wanted by the founder of the Society of Jesus, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, in 1551. After five years, Pope Paul IV established the Athenaeum. In 1567, Pope Paul V elevated it to university. Due to the growing number of students, Pope Gregory XIII moved it to a new purposely built site – the Collegio Romano – whose chapel became the annexed church of Sant’Ignazio. The university will take the name of “Gregoriana” in honor of the Pontiff, its protector.